GIGN Forum

About Ping

| ADMIN: *KaPcCoNiJ

| REASON: ping

| EXPIRE in 6 minutes

Nicks: Hack/Hack He Must/TYW

Hello, in the past few weeks (2-3) I've been getting banned from few admins due to ping.

This is not exactly a complaint but more like an explanation and clarification.

I live in Greece.

If I use cmd_rate and cmd_updaterate at 66-100 my ping is ~98, ~108, ~118, depending on server business (if it is semi-full I am at 98, if it is near full 108, sometimes - especially night - 118).

I do not get kicked from the server automatically unless shit happens with my net (I will leave before I get kicked coz it is unplayable anyway).

My questions are:

Is there something wrong with my ping? I doubt I am lagging, seeing as an inability to efficiently upload also means an inability to download but everything runs smoothly on my screen. Sometimes I also do some good scores.

Is your aim (pun), as server admins, to have a server consisting of people with double-digit latency/ping or something along those lines? I would like to know since I actually spend sometime on this server and if me and my pingz are not welcome then I would love to know.

Thanks for your time and hope I did not post in the wrong section.

• Like 1

you got kicked/banned mostly probably of your nick name :D (joke)

mostly admins kick high pingers because they are lagging and its hard to do a clear HS because of that high latency.

Im suggesting you to warn and explain your problems to currently online admins in admin chat. and if you are not lagging then maybe they will not kick you out, but just maybe.

• Like 1

It's pretty hard to shoot someone with a ping close to 100 or above if you are strafing and jiggling left and right although it may seem for you that everything is fine. It's been a case for you as well few times (at least when i was playing against you) and if you are getting kicked/banned then its clearly a problem for others as well :nja:

I mostly talk to "pingers/laggers" before kicking/banning them so You shouldnt have issues with my administration style, however, if you'll be lagging very hard [like teleporting/doing "robot dance"], then there would be a kick.

P.S.

You cant compare your download speed from different places with some server in Latvia, because route from your computer to server goes trought many "checkpoints." You can find more information about it trought google by "how to traceroute?"

• Like 1

I cannot really see the difference Keepo, even though you might be right. I have played on servers with 65 ping and 130 ping and while I could feel that my reflexes were kinda negated from the difference in ping with, say, someone with 5 ping, I couldnt see a difference as far as shooting was concerned. Now, in LAN, I can clearly see a difference between my experience in every server I have played, but that is because it is LAN - I do not think anyone has exactly the LAN experience through a server not hosted in his network.

Lumpy, I do know what you mentioned. It came to me, though, that there is a way to reduce those "checkpoints"?

Just leaving it out there that atm I am at a 24mbit/3mbyte connection which is the fastest I can get right now (soon 48mbit/6mbyte).

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/CXM1fQG.png if this does anything?

EDIT 2: Sorry Jew/Jitsu, I forgot you. I have actually gotten banned because of my nick somewhere but that is another story :D What I would like to ask is what is the admin chat ))

Edited by Hack He Must

admin chat is chat witch can only be seen by admins... so basically you type in team channel in front of the text "@"

say_team: @dont kick me please. and admins will see it if they don't miss it. at least it should work that way, haven't tried without my admin access that chat